Don’t know anything about car transportation? No problem; just go through this detailed auto shipping guide for dummies, and by the end of it, you will learn most of the important things about it, including the jargon that flies over most people’s heads. So let’s start:
What is Car Transport? – The Process of Transportation:
Vehicle transport is just what it sounds like; the process of transporting your vehicle from one point to another. Now this means that you will not be driving the car, it will be shipped via a truck, and your car will just be parked on it. Here’s what goes into the auto shipping process:
- You will search for the car transport company in your vicinity, go to their website, and find out their contact details.
- Then you will give them a call and ask for the cost to ship a car. They will ask you some questions in return like what your car type is, its weight/dimensions, and the place of pickup and drop off.
- Companies ask for these things because the cost is calculated based on the total miles the truck needs to travel to deliver the car and the space a car occupies and the load it puts on the tuck.
- So once the company provides you with a car shipping quote, you can then book their services and you will receive a date of pickup. However, this is not going to be the exact pickup date and a delay of 1-3 days is expected.
- Then the car shipping company finds a carrier (transportation truck) for your vehicle and sends it to your address to pick up the car. The carrier will carry out an inspection of the vehicle with you and prepare an inspection report that you both will sign.
- The inspection report will have all the details of the car and any noticeable damages it already has; it basically documents the condition of the car. Once done, the carrier will take your vehicle and the shipping process will start.
- You will be able to contact the company to find out the progress of the transit whenever you want. And once the car is finally delivered, you or someone designated by you will match the condition of the car with the condition documented in the inspection report. Once everything matches up, the process will come to an end.
Types of Transport Methods:
- Road Car Shipping: The cheapest mode but it can take a few days to weeks to get your car transported via it.
- Air Car Transport: The fastest method but its cost will be higher than the cart shipping cost of road or ocean combined.
- Ocean Auto Shipping: It is somewhere in the middle of road and air shipping but is not commonly used by many people especially if the distance is just a few hundred miles.
Types of Transport Containers:
- Open Containers: Your car will be placed on a car hauler without any walls or shelter but the car will be firmly secured. Although it is a pretty secure way to get the car across, there is still some risk associated.
- Enclosed Containers: This is more expensive than open containers mainly because the car will be parked inside a container with walls and roof so it’ll be secured from environmental elements like dust, debris, rain, and snow etc.
Types of Services:
- Terminal-to-Terminal: You can drop off the car at the nearby car shipping company’s terminal and pick it up from the destination terminal.
- Door-to-Door: Your car will be picked up from your address and delivered to the drop off location. It costs a bit more than terminal-to-terminal.
Types of Vehicles That Can Be Transported:
- Golf Carts
- Heavy Equipment